Frequently Asked Questions
Why is AUTOMATED COLLECTION better than the traditional manual method?
- The most important feature of an automated system is that it allows one operator to typically collect around 30% more garbage that a three-person manually operated garbage truck.
- Automated Collection eliminates the need to handle most trash cans, thereby significantly reducing the potential for injury.
- The curbside 96 gallon roll-out cart is maneuverable and easy to roll. Each one is extremely durable, features a close-fitting lid, will hold as much trash as three typical garbage cans, and one is supplied to each residence by the City of McMinnville Public Works Department.
What if my cart is damaged or stolen?
The carts are the property of the City of McMinnville and each one is assigned an address and serial number. All reports of damage and theft will be investigated by calling the Public Works Department Office at 931.473.2553. Repairs or replacements will be made as needed.
May I use refuse containers other than the 96-gallon roll-out cart issued by the city?
No, the automated truck can/will only pick up the city-issued containers.
What kinds of refuse can I put in the 96 gallon roll-out cart?
- All household refuse/garbage items may be placed in the cart. It is also recommended that garbage items be bagged and tied, then deposited in the cart. This practice will keep your cart cleaner. It is recommended that cardboard boxes be broken down so they take less room in the cart.
- Yard waste may be placed in the carts, but we recommend that they be bagged and tied. If you have several bags of yard waste and cannot get them into the cart, you can call 931.473.2553 for a special pick-up.
Does the city provide assisted collection with the 96 gallon roll-out carts?
Yes, when residents provide the Public Works Department with a doctor’s statement informing us that a resident is unable to take their garbage to the street. Once we have received that statement, we will begin your assisted service.
What if one cart is not enough for our weekly garbage?
An additional cart can be obtained with the payment of a one-time user fee of $50.00, and $7.50 per month disposal fee. The cart remains the property of the city. If a resident moves to another location within the city and still desires the use of a second cart, the one-time user fee is waived but the $7.50 per month disposal fee will remain in force. Otherwise, the city will pick up the second cart.
If I utilize a second cart, where do I place it for pick-up?
If you have two city-issued carts out for pick-up, the carts must be placed at least three feet apart.